The WRAP Aggregates Programme, which is funded by DEFRA from the Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund, was launched in 2002. Its aims are to promote sustainable aggregates use by reducing the demand for primary aggregates through encouraging greater use of recycled and secondary aggregates. WRAP is also funded by the Scottish Executive for an Aggregates Programme in Scotland.
The Aggregates Programme is addressing the barriers to greater use of these materials:
- Lack of effective reprocessing infrastructure to supply high quality products to local markets.
- Need for robust and readily available information to assist those involved in the specification, procurement, use and supply of recycled and secondary aggregates.
- Low end-user confidence and awareness of the cost effectiveness and performance specifications of recycled and secondary aggregates.
- Barriers in the supply chain, both real and perceived, that arise through legislation and regulations.
- Need for more uses for recycled, and particularly secondary, materials.
For more information download the programme brochure:
WRAP Aggregates Programme (2573 kb)